Today is National Pizza Day
In Case You Were Curious…About Pizza!
- Over 5-billion pizzas are sold all over the world each year – 3-billion of those are sold in the United States.
- Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or 350 slices of pizza per second. And 36-percent of those pizza slices are pepperoni slices, making pepperoni the number one choice among pizza toppings in the United States.
- Saturday night is the most popular night to eat pizza.
- The world’s fastest pizza maker, Pali Grewal triumphed as the 2014 World’s Fastest Pizza Maker – he made three large pizzas in an impressive 32.28 seconds.
- The first pizzeria in North America was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi at 53 1/3 Spring Street in New York City.
- The first "Pizza Hut" a chain of pizza restaurants appeared in the United States during the 1930s.
- According to American Business Lists, there are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States.
- According to Pizza.com, the highest-grossing single-unit independent pizzeria in the nation, Moose's Tooth Pub and Pizzeria, is in Anchorage, Alaska. Their annual sales are approximately $6-million.
- How much do you stuff? The typical adult consumes 744 calories of pizza in a single sitting.
- October is National Pizza Month - it was first so designated in 1987.
- A recent Gallup poll revealed that kids between the ages of 3 to 11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.