I was not expecting the warm temps forecast for today to be here at 4 am. This morning when I left for work Minot was already at 41 degrees and that is above zero.... may not get much warmer ... winds are going to increase.. should help melt some more of the snow
Today is umbrella day .... some facts about umbrellas below
In Case You Were Curious…About Umbrellas!
- Word umbrella comes from the Latin word "umbros" which means shade or shadow.
- Modern day widespread acceptance of umbrellas started to spread across the Europe in middle of 18th Up until that point, umbrellas were viewed as a female fashion accessory.
- The first man who publicly carried umbrella was Englishman Jonas Hanway. His influence finally introduced umbrella to male population of England, and soon after entire world.
- Modern day umbrellas are strikingly similar in their design to the models that were used in ancient Greece and Rome.
- Technological advancement of 20th century enabled the creation of mechanisms and materials that are integral part of modern umbrellas.
- Currently there are many types of umbrellas on the market - traditional, automatic, compact, bubble, storm and crutch umbrellas (they can serve as a walking stick or cane).