Polar Bears and the North Pole.
The Full Story:
- Polar Bear mamas typically nurse their cubs for two and a half years. Just like all those “natural” hipster moms you see at Lamaze classes.
- When an adult male polar bear stands on his hind legs he can be up to 10-feet tall! (No need to lie about his height on OkCupid, then.)
- Polar Bears can swim non-stop for over a week. Michigan had a recent scare when they thought polar bears had swum across the Arctic Ocean and might come near Detroit. It ended up being a false alarm.
- In Churchill, Manitoba, it is customary to leave doors unlocked in case a person is running from a polar bear and needs to duck quickly into your house. If a particular polar bear wanders into town too often, the authorities discourage it from returning with a few months in polar bear jail.
- The North Pole is actually a floating arctic ice sheet.
- Every year, a North Pole Marathon occurs at the geographic North Pole. Competing costs over $15,000, including reservations at a hotel in Greenland and transport to the North Pole.
- The North Pole is the center of an international controversy, since it is claimed by Russia, Canada, Norway, Denmark, and the United States. In 2007, Russia planted its country’s flag on the floor of the Arctic Ocean with a mini-submarine, severely annoying the U.N.