The Bottom Line: Fun facts about beer!
The Full Story:
- Humans have been brewing beer for 8,000 years ever since they began cultivating domesticated grains. So don’t worry – you can hop in your time machine and go enjoy a pint almost anywhere!
- The most common variation of beer? American lager.
- Want a patriotic drink? Some beer types that originated here in the states are American pale ale, Pennsylvania Porter, American IPA, steam beer, amber ale, cream ale and Cascadian dark ale.
- The Prohibition of the early twentieth century forced most American breweries to shut down. There was, however, an increase in Speakeasies.
- A majority of Americans live within 10 miles of a local brewery. Do you know where yours is?
- Yuengling recently topped Sam Adams as the #1 craft beer.
- The Puritans who first settled America were suspicious of water, which often had bacteria in it and made them sick. They therefore fed their babies beer.
- Jerome Valcke, the secretary general of FIFA, insisted that Brazil make a law allowing beer sales at the World Cup, despite the high death rate. Watch John Oliver’s sketch about it.
- Want to celebrate? Here are some good options!
- Drink a great beer with some good pals.
- By your buds a beer!
- Try beers from other cultures
Thank your bartender and brewer!