The Bottom Line: Some interesting facts about the planet we live on...and how it's affected by what we do!
The Full Story:
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours.
- Only 1% of the world's water supply is usable, 97% are the oceans and 2% is frozen.
- The amount of water on Earth is constant, and continually recycled over time: some of the water you drink will have passed through a dinosaur.
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
- Rainforests are being cut down at the rate of 100 acres per minute.
- If you walk a mile along an average US highway, you will see, on average about 1,457 pieces of litter.
- Paper can be recycled only six times. After that, the fibers are too weak to hold together.
- When you throw plastic bags and other plastic materials in the ocean, it kills as many as 1 million sea creatures annually.
- The world’s oldest trees are more than 4,600 years old.