The Bottom Line: Fun facts about peanuts and peanut butter!
The Full Story:
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- Delta Airlines purchased 69.6 million packs of peanuts for its passengers in 2013
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- The world’s largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.
- Four of the top 10 candy bars manufactured in the USA contain peanuts or peanut butter.
- Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.
- Peanuts contribute more than $4 billion to the USA economy each year.
- Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.
Source: National Peanut Board