In Case You Were Curious… About Coffee!
The Bottom Line: Quick facts about coffee!
The Full Story:
- According to legend, Ethiopian shepherds first realized the profound caffeinating effects of coffee when they noticed their goats started “dancing” after eating coffee berries.
- Coffee can help you live a longer and healthier life. Coffee contains lots of antioxidants that help the body fight chemicals called “free radicals.” As a result, coffee drinkers are at a lower risk of diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, Type II Diabetes, and Heart Disease. But if you’re into some bad habits, such as drinking booze or smoking cigarettes along with coffee, you don’t get to “keep” the benefits.
- Drinking coffee can help you burn fat. Studies have shown that drinking caffeine can increase your metabolism 3 to 11%. It’s one of the few chemicals that can actually help with fat burning, so might as well drink up!
- Iced coffee is more expensive because it uses more resources. From plastic cups to napkins to double brewing (re-brewing coffee a second time to make it stronger), the resources needed for iced coffee are more numerous (and expensive!) than hot coffee is. All of that adds up.
- Several studies have shown that coffee drinkers are up to 65% less likely to get Alzheimer’s Disease, which is a leading cause of dementia.
- Black Ivory coffee is the most expensive kind of coffee on Earth, and it’s made from poop. The most expensive coffee in the world is made from elephant dung, and it’s called Black Ivory coffee. It costs $50 per cup. Luwak, aka civet, coffee is made by feeding coffee beans to mongoose and then using its feces. It costs $160 per pound.
- In 1675, England’s King Charles II banned coffee shops because he thought that that’s where people were meeting to conspire against him.
- Caffeine can help your workout - Caffeine increases your levels of adrenaline, and releases fatty acids from fat tissues, leading to a better physical performance by those who consume caffeine before working out.