The Bottom Line: Things you should know about fast food!
The Full Story:
- During the early 1900s, the hamburger was thought to be polluted, unsafe to eat, and food for the poor. Street carts, not restaurants, typically served them.
- McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets come in four shapesand they all have names: the boot, the ball, the bone, and the bell.
- There are more than 300,000 fast food restaurants in the U.S. alone.
- Because McDonald’s initially did not want its customers to stay and socialize, they prohibited newspaper boxes, candy machines, telephones, pinball machines, jukeboxes, and other types of entertainment. They also installed uncomfortable chairs to deter customers from lingering.
- The popularization of the drive-thru led car manufacturers in the 1990s to install cup holders in the dashboards. As fast food drinks became larger, so did the cup holders.
- Wendy’s founder Dave Thomas went back to school to earn his GED at the age of 61. He didn’t want people to see his success and feel inspired to drop out of high school.
- Taco Bell has attempted to open stores in Mexico two different times. Their food was labeled as “American Food.”
- Chipotle buys some of their avocados from singer Jason Mraz.
- Because of a successful marketing campaign 40 years ago, KFC chicken has become a popular destination for Christmas dinner in Japan. Some customers place their Christmas orders two months in advance.
- Pizza Hut made a delivery to the International Space Station in 2001. It cost around $1,000,000.