The Bottom Line: Sweet facts about Fig Newtons.
The Full Story:
- Until the 19th century, many physicians were convinced that most illnesses were associated to digest problems and suggested a daily dose of biscuits and fruits. The solution was fig rolls, according to nationalcalender.com.
- The cookies are now made in many varieties: original fig, strawberry, apple & cinnamon, sweet peach & apricot, and triple berry.
- Fig Newton’s is characterized by it’s original and unique, square shape.
- Fig Newton’s were originally called “Newton”. Nationalcalenderday.com also writes, once Kennedy Biscuit Company and New York Biscuit company merged, Newtons became “Fig Newtons.”
- National Fig Newton Day is an unofficial holiday.
- Over one billion Fig Newtons are eaten every year, according to punchbowl.com.
- Charles Roser created the fig newton recipe.