In Case You Were Curious About…Pineapples!
April 20, 2018
The Bottom Line: Delicious facts about pineapples!
The Full Story:
- Pineapples were kept on ships to ward off scurvy. Sailors would wash their pineapples down with a measure of rum.
- Have a cold or a cough? Try a pineapple – they’re packed with Vitamin C!
- Thailand is the biggest producer of pineapples in Southeast Asia.
- One pineapple plant produces only one pineapple every 2 years. A true perfectionist.
- Pineapple plants can fruit for up to 50 years in the wild.
- The word “pineapple” was first used in 1398 in reference to a pinecone. It was derived from the Spanish word “piña” which means pinecone. It was then changed nearly 300 years later for the word “pine cone” so the fruit could have a name all its own.
- Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple that breaks down proteins. This enzyme is good for digestion, but also means pineapple juice can be used as a meat tenderizer.