In Case You Were Curious…About Wine
May 25, 2018
The Bottom Line: Fun facts about wine!
The Full Story:
- In an experiment conducted in 2001 at the University of Bordeaux, every one of the 54 undergraduates in wine making and tasting thought they were tasting a red wine while it was actually a dyed white wine. Furthermore, when comparing identical wine of different prices, experts raved about the expensive wine while panning the cheap wine.
- The ancient Greeks had a wine glass to ensure moderation. If wine was poured above a certain level, the cup spilled its entire contents out of the bottom.
- In Vietnam, it’s possible to order a cobra blood wine from restaurant menus. The waiter will take a live cobra, kill it on the spot, drain the blood into a shot glass of rice wine, and top it off with the cobra’s still beating heart for you to gulp down.
- In China, people who want to display their wealth drink expensive red wines mixed with Coca-Cola and Sprite to make it taste more palatable.
- Ancient Egyptian kings avoided wine because of its resemblance to blood. They believed that it was the blood of those who battled the gods and lost and that it was the reason why drinking wine temporarily drove people out of their senses and made them a little crazy.
- There is an alcoholic drink called seagull wine. That is made purely by stuffing a whole seagull into a bottle of water and leaving it in the sun to ferment.