In Case You Were Curious…About Cats!
August 08, 2018
The Bottom Line: Fun facts about cats!
The Full Story:
- The Ecology Global Network estimates that there are about 600-million small cats in the world. This includes pets, strays, homeless and feral cats.
- Cats and humans have been associated for nearly 10-thousand years.
- Cats conserve energy by sleeping for an average of 13 to14 hours a day.
- Cats have flexible bodies and teeth adapted for hunting small animals such as mice and rats.
- A group of cats is called a clowder, a male cat is called a tom, a female cat is called a molly or queen while young cats are called kittens.
- Cats can be lethal hunters and very sneaky, when they walk their back paws step almost exactly in the same place as the front paws did beforehand, this keeps noise to a minimum and limits visible tracks.
- Cats have powerful night vision, allowing them to see at light levels six times lower than what a human needs in order to see.
- Cats have excellent hearing and a powerful sense of smell.