The City of Minot and the City of Kenmare are the ONLY shelters that open for TORNADO WATCHES, all others open during TORNADO WARNINGS.
At this time shelters have not been opened , and are not set to until the National Weather Service in Bismarck issues at least a Tornado Watch, per the county's sheltering plan.
Recommendations for tornadoes/severe weather are as follows:
- Go to NOAA Weather Radio and your local news or official social media accounts for updatedemergencyinformation. Follow the instructions of state, local and tribal officials.
- Go to a safe shelter immediately, such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar or a small interior room on the lowest level of a sturdy building.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- Do not go under an overpass or bridge. You’re safer in a low, flat location.
- Watch out for flying debris that can cause injury or death.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- If you can’t stay at home, make plans to go to a public shelter
CITY SHELTER NAME SHELTER LOCATION
Berthold Lewis & Clark High School 401 4th Ave NE Berthold, ND 58718 Burlington
Burlington Elementary School 301 Wallace St Burlington, ND 58722
Carpio Carpio Lutheran Church 200 2nd St W Carpio, ND 58725
Donnybrook Community Center/City Hall 321 1st Ave SE Donnybrook, ND 58734
Des Lacs Des Lacs-Burlington High School 317 Roosevelt St Des Lacs, ND 58733
Douglas Calvary Presbyterian Church 641 Fredeen St Ryder, ND 58779
Kenmare Kenmare High School 300 7th Ave NE Kenmare, ND 58746
Makoti Old School 240 3rd Ave E Makoti, ND 58756
Minot Municipal Court 420 3rd Ave SW Minot, ND 58701
Ryder Calvary Presbyterian Church 641 Fredeen St Ryder, ND 58779
Sawyer Sawyer School 25 1st Ave SW Sawyer, ND 58781
Surrey Surrey High School 200 2nd St SE Surrey, ND 58785