Fire & Natural Gas Leak Leads To Evacuation In Minot

March 16, 2022

Source: City Of Minot Fire Department

Fire, natural gas leak leads to evacuation of two homes

A garage fire and natural gas leak caused the evacuation of two homes in northwest Minot Tuesday evening. The Minot Fire Department responded to 1221 5th Avenue NW at 6:48 p.m. Tuesday for a report of an explosion in a garage. Firefighters extinguished the fire a few minutes after arrival. While on scene, firefighters noticed the smell of natural gas. Using detection equipment, they found high levels of gas in the home where the garage fire occurred and in nearby storm sewer locations. Firefighters exited the home and moved personnel and equipment to a safe distance as a precaution. Crews with the Minot Fire Department and Montana Dakota Utilities monitored gas levels outside nearby residences. Several area residents were alerted to the situation by members of the Fire Department, MDU crews, and members of the Minot Police Department. One residence was evacuated as a precaution. Crews remain on scene today. MDU officials and the Fire Department continue to monitor natural gas levels in the area. MDU crews have isolated the gas leak and are working on repairs. The affected homes and other areas including storm sewers and the affected home’s yard are being ventilated. Gas levels in the area continue to decline. No one was injured in the incident, which is under investigation by the Minot Fire Department, State Fire Marshal’s office, and MDU.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content