You may be surprised to know that not everything got more expensive this year. In fact, some things actually got cheaper.
- Toys - Last year there was a lot of concern over a shortage of toys, but that’s not an issue this year, many stores have lowered prices to sell the excess.
- Window treatments - After the housing boom last year, fewer people are buying homes this year prices on window treatment
are much cheaper while retailers adjust to less demand.
- Fertilizer - Prices on fertilizer are down over 12% since late August.
- Solar panels - Solar technology has become much more affordable in recent years and thanks to government subsidies and credits.
- Washers and dryers - The cooling housing market gets credit for that.
- Furniture - This drop is also related to the shift in housing demand. With fewer people buying houses, fewer people are buying large pieces of furniture, so retailers may be discounting sofas, dining room sets and bed frames to make up for lower demand.