Unattended candle causes house fire in southeast Minot


An unattended candle caused a house fire in southeast Minot on Saturday afternoon.

The Minot Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 701 Arbor Avenue at 5:10 p.m.

The occupants of the home safely exited the structure after being alerted by smoke detectors.

When firefighters arrived on scene they found light smoke coming from the building, and quickly extinguished the fire.

A minimal amount of damage was caused to the structure.

No one was injured in the incident. Fire department members found one pet and returned it safely to the homeowner.

The fire was caused by the improper use of a candle.

Nationally, candles cause an estimated 15,600 fires per year, including 150 deaths and 1,270 injuries.